Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where has the time gone?????

Hello all my furr guardians out there! I must apologize for the HORRIBLE lapse in my blogging...I just don't know where the time goes sometimes! WHEW! Well I wanted to make sure to at least get out a Christmas blog if for nothing else to thank all of you for allowing us to care for your beloved furr kids for another wonderful year. I wanted to also send my deepest sympathies to you furr guardians who lost your friends during 2010...as most of you know I was among you in this and know how hard it is to lose such an important part of your life.

Well, it's nearly 2011 and so much has happened this year for your loyal pet sitters. I'm pleased to announce that in 2011 we will be doing one more expansion into the Los Gatos/Santa Cruz area. I have a crack team of pet sitters raring to go and we will be marketing to those areas in January.

THE BACON CHRONICLES

Bacon to say the least keeps me on my toes...that little boy is a riot! He has decided that my Christmas tree is his favorite jungle gym and has flattened the bottom of the tree. While I don't want to encourage this behavior I have to admit that it's difficult not to laugh. Here's a picture of him looking VERY guilty as he continues to trash my lovely Christmas tree. We discovered that if we throw his toy monkey it would get him out of the tree but then he decided that it would be MORE fun to attack the tree WITH his monkey in his mouth, so now we find his monkey hanging out in the tree. It was REALLY funny to watch the FIRST time! My poor battered tree, I thought I might be able to get one more year out of it, but Bacon had a different opinion.







He has also decided that when the bed is being made HAS GOT to be a game, and not I find it difficult...no, more like impossible to make the bed without having to make it with him in it. He is getting so big now...where did my little baby go and who is this big BEAST of a cat who replaced him. He's actually one of the coolest kitties I've ever encountered and keeps the laugh riot at an all time high around my apartment.

He also has his own Facebook page now and he would LOVE to be friends with all his SVPN furr guardians. You can find him under Bacon Henderson and he's sure you will enjoy his status updates and photos.

REMEMBER THE LESS FORTUNATE FURR KIDS

As always Silicon Valley Pet Nanny will be making a donation to 13th Street Cat Rescue at the end of this year, and it made me think about all the furr kids who don't have forever homes. I wanted to thank all of you who have made a conscience effort to adopt homeless furr kids and to truly thank all of the wonderful people who donate their time and efforts to help place these homeless furr kids and keep them warm and fed until they find their forever homes. I know the economy is hurting nearly everyone right now, and donating money is tough, but please remember that you can also donate towels, unused food, and of course your time to any of these wonderful non-profits.

http://www.13thstcats.org/
http://www.hssv.org/howtohelp.html

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated by these and other non-profit agencies.

DOES YOUR KITTY HAVE A DRINKING PROBLEM?

Many of my clients have expressed worry regarding their kitties not drinking enough water. Domestic cats need two cups of water a day, on average to stay properly hydrated. The moisture in canned food provides some water, however cats who consume strictly kibble diets may not drink enough water and are at risk of developing lower urinary tract disease, including bladder stones or crystals. Room-temperature water lingering in bowls may be ignored by some indoor cats. In response, pet product companies have designed pet fountains and faucet-mounted units that deliver fresh, flowing water to encourage cats to drink. Bacon has a water fountain and is always drinking from it.

8 ways to encourage cats to drink water:
  • Working with your veterinarian, consider switching to a canned food best suited for your cat's age, health and activity level.
  • Provide at least two water bowls in different locations.
  • Change the water in the bowls daily to keep it fresh.
  • Fill the bowl with refrigerated water.
  • Put an ice cube in the bowl.
  • Put a few drops of tuna water, chicken broth or clam juice in one water bowl.
  • Place a few drops of tuna, clam or salmon juice or chicken broth in water in ice cube trays and freeze. Put one of these ice cubes in your cat's water bowl.
  • Position the water bowl away from the litter pan.

FUN HOLIDAY STUFF

Well, I know this is probably too late for most of you who are on the ball as far as sending out holiday cards, but I thought this was really cool and heck you can always save it for next year.

Crunchy cards - "developed by vets, devoured by pets" is the tagline for Crunch Cards, a newly patented line of edible greeting cards for dogs! YES EDIBLE! Each 4-3/8" x 6-3/8" "greeting card" is made from a flat rawhide panel imprinted with non-toxic, water based ink. And, they come with a brightly colored envelope so you can send a bit of holiday cheer to all of your favorite hounds. $4.95 each. http://www.crunchkins.com/

Crafting for Canines - Crafting has gone to the dogs. Bowwowmeow offers a cleaver line of dog and cat themed crafts such as scrapbooking, met ornaments and kits to design your own collar, leash or bowl. The kits are fun and easy to use with kids or any dog/cat lover who wants to express their love through a home made gift. Prices start at $14.99. http://www.bowwowmeowstuff.com/

Lazybonezz - An innovative bunk-bed for multiple pets. Great for the city life, but also very functional and fun for any home. A set of three stairs with a textured surface on each makes this a source of entertainment as well as one of the most unique and beautiful products on the pet market. $499.00 at www.lazybonezz.com

WANNA GO GREEN?

I stumbled upon a website that I thought was pretty darn cool and with so many people trying to go green I thought it was interesting that there isn't much in the way of making our furr kids green too. This is what they write: "Hip Green Pet" is the first of its kind business, ALL (and only) USA made GREEN Pet Products. Every purchase supports animal and earth causes! In business not just because but for a cause, (many of them actually). Trying to do something better exclusively for Pets, people, the planet and peace. You can feel great about shopping at Hip Green Pet because not only are you reducing your pet's carbon pawprint but all products are non-toxic and completely safe for your pet, you and the earth. Each purchase gives back to great causes and supports other USA small businesses and families." I took a few minutes to look through their products and they have some COOL stuff! If you want to make sure even your furr kid is green check out this site, you'll be happy you did.

http://www.hipgreenpet.com/hgp/

IS YOUR POOCH BORED?

I thought this was really interesting...there is a product called "the DogBrick" which encourages your pooch, (or kitty) to strengthen their minds by "solving" complex puzzles. Basically it's a plastic board with sliding discs and by placing treats in the depressions under the discs your pup or kitty will look for the goodies by trying to pull the discs to the side with its nose or paw. Maybe I should get Bacon one of those because I'm convinced he's bored!

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/.

Well, I guess I will wrap this blog up and get ready for my day of visiting all my furr kids. Thank you again for being a part of the Silicon Valley Pet Nanny family and allowing us the special opportunity to care for your beloved furr kids. We wish you and your family a very happy holiday season and can't wait for 2011!!!

Make sure to give your furr kids a hug and a kiss from their loyal pet sitters!

No comments: