Thursday, July 9, 2009

I LOVE what I do for a living!!!!!!

Hello all my furr guardians, how was your 4th of July? Were your furr kids okay with all the loud BANGS! My cats spent the majority of the time under our bed, but with all the M80's that were being set off I wish I could have fit under there too!

So, as you can see from the title of this blog...I LOVE WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING! I just wanted to introduce all of you to my newest furr kid, and what a doll she is! Her name is Penny, and she's a 10 week old Bernese Mountain Dog. She is the new Sister to Oliver and Autumn, (kitties) and just arrived Monday. She is a sweetheart, who loves her Brother and Sister, (although the feeling is not mutual at this time) and adores her guardians, (and me too). She is so cute that I had to post two videos of her...I hope you don't mind.





Now, how CUTE was that!!!!!! She is also quite the people magnet, and makes everyone who runs into her smile...what an awesome talent to have. We're still working on the potty training, but she is SO smart, and is taking to it very quickly.

We have had quite the strange Summer so far...cold, hot, SUPER hot, cool, and cold again. Well, according to the news it's supposed to warm up again and I thought I would include a couple of cool doggy treats that you can whip up for your furr kid.

Blend a couple of spoons of peanut butter with mashed banana, add a spoonful of honey and mix in about a half cup of water to make a better freezing consistency. For optional extra crunch, throw in a few unsalted peanuts...and FREEEEEZE.

If you want to be a bit creative, try mixing and matching various fruit juices with your dog's favorite fruit such as apple bits or canned peaches along with plain yogurt before freezing into cubes. You may even want to go all out and blend smoothies or slushes for your dog to lap up or crunch in frozen cubes. However, stick to fruit juices and water for liquid as many dogs cannot easily digest milk. Creamy treats can be made by mixing half cottage cheese and half water and freezing into cubes.

For dogs who prefer meaty tastes, freeze chicken or beef broth, or even thin unsalted gravies into cubes. For an extra surprise, add a chunk of baby food meat, a piece of milkbone, or a cheese bit into each cube before freezing.

If you're not feeling particularly "Martha Stewart" you can also go with something like this:
http://www.kooldogz.biz/

And of course there is always:
http://www.chillow.com/chillow.html

The Chillow works for kitties too, although Blackjack wasn't fond of his he prefers the cold floor in the bathroom.

I haven't forgotten about my feline furr kids, (although they aren't fans of super cold things). I found these awesome kitty treat recipes and thought I would share them with you!

Crispy Trout Pieces
1 egg yolk
1 small trout fillet
3 tbsp oatmeal
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the egg, dip the fish in it, and then coat it with the oatmeal. Put the oil in a small baking pan and lay the fillet in it, turning it over once or twice. Bake for 15 minutes, turn over and back for another 15 minutes. Remove the fish to a dish, allow to cool and cut into bite-sized pieces. If it looks a little dry, add a dash of cream.

Chicken Cheeseburger
2 oz finely ground beef
2 oz finely ground chicken
1 tsp canned thick chicken soup
2 oz whole grain bread crumbs or oatmeal
1 baby carrot, cooked until soft
1 egg
1/2 cup grated cheese

Mash the meat and chicken with the soup, then add the bread crumbs or oatmeal, mushy carrot and egg. Make into two small burgers and broil (leaving much rare than you would for yourself). Sprinkle with grated cheese and broil again until the cheese is melted. Allow to cool until warm to the touch and serve.

I often think "ahhhhhh, I would love to be some of the furr kids I watch...what a life"...and this video explains it sooooooo well!



Many of you have sent me emails asking how Blackjack is doing, which I think is SO wonderful and thoughtful! He's doing much better, although Corn is still hissing at him which hurts his feelings. His hair is starting to grow out a bit, and he's looking a bit more black than silver. The good news is that he hasn't thrown up ONE hairball!!!!! That is cause for celebration!!!!

Well, I guess that's it for now, but I wanted to mention that the annual Obon Festival is going on this weekend in Japantown so if you want to experience a lot of fun and culture you should make plans to visit...you just might run into your loyal petsitter! http://www.sjbetsuin.com/Events/HomePage

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the Penny videos!