Friday, July 11, 2008

With tears in my eyes

Hello all my furr kid guardians, how are you today? Have you survived the heat? Today wasn't as bad, but WOO is it HUMID outside! Yuck...feels like I've been slapped in the face with a wet rag.

Don't worry about the title...it's more of a heart felt cry than a sad cry. My friend Seth Casteel with Little Friends Photography (you may remember me mentioning him in a couple of newsletters and e-mails) has been doing volunteer work with Los Angeles City Shelters photographing doggies that need new homes. Well, he posted the most heart-warming video on YouTube that made me burst into tears. He basically has been taking professional shots of homeless doggies, which replace the not-so-great amateur shots taken by shelter folks, and the difference is HUGE. If you want a smile on your face, or a quick little cry you should check the video out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d-0_9r5hj4 It always makes me happy to meet people like Seth or my friend Joanne over at 13th Street Cat Rescue who donate their time, money and life to help homeless kitties and doggies.

Today was a pretty slow day for your loyal pet sitter...I visited my love bug Smush and will be visiting Catalina a little later. We had a last minute Bandit and Zaelen booking, which is okay in our books because they are the NICEST furr kids. Bandit is a little black and white Lasaoodle who has a black band across his eyes...hence the name Bandit. Zaelen is like no cat I've ever met...he is such a cool guy! He loves to be held like a baby, he gives tons of head butts, and follows you around like he's a dog. Sometimes we will say, "get him Bandit" and little Bandit will try and tackle Zaelen...usually getting the short end of the stick. Zaelen also loves drinking out of the bathroom faucet...now I know a lot of kitties do, but he will stick his entire head under the faucet...not caring that his head is drenched when he's done. His guardian told me the story about when she realized he was doing that...she said "I kept noticing that his head would be soaking wet and didn't know how, then I realized that one of our faucets leaked and he would be sitting under it with the drips going right on his head!" Bandit is also a funny little guy; one of my nicknames for his is "skipper-von-skipperbutt" because he does this cute little skip when we're out walking.

Yes, I have lots of nicknames for your furr kids...some make absolutely no sense at all, but I just feel the name when I meet them. My own cat Blackjack has about a million nicknames from Bologna Butt, monkey lips, and The Boob, (which is the most common one) and my Husbands cat’s names from Cornjulio, Cornivorous and Corndog. It's just one of those funny things that I have always done...I wonder if some of the furr kids I watch even realize that what I'm calling them isn't there actual name...hmmmmmm.

I talked to lots of potential new SVPN furr guardians this week, and always enjoy hearing new stories. I also ordered all my give-a-way items for the Bark in the Park, which is September 20th. I think I made some really great choices and hope to see some of you there.

Anyway, I'm off to visit Catalina who is a look-a-like of my beloved Blackjack. But I will gather up some more stories about all my furr kids and talk to you all soon.

Until next time......

No comments: